Monday 26 April 2010

Things I have noticed about comedy

As a change from posting YouTube videos and recommending things, I just wanted to write a quick post mentioning themes surrounding comedy. The first one is that how newspapers are being attacked is changing. It's not just the traditional targets of the tabloids that comedians are criticising but also the broadsheets. I think this is because a lot of broadsheet's comedy critics forget that they are only one person with the good fortune of writing about their opinions in print and not some know it all whose word is law when it comes to comedy. Subsequently they don't realise that comedy is subjective and their reviews reflect this. I'm not saying that the public are always right about things, but neither are the critics and you need balance. I have seen the criticism at first hand when seeing Jack Whitehall, Robin Ince and Rhod Gilbert to name a few.


A more sweet theme is that more couples are doing stuff on the same night, in a double header. I first saw this when Sarah Millican and her other half Gary Delaney were doing the Hen and Chickens on the same night, although because of the volcano that had to be changed. I then saw that Russell Kane was doing an Edinburgh preview on the same night as someone called Sadie. I know that his wife is called Sadie so did a little research like the curious person I am and found out that the Sadie on the same night was 'his'. Then just today I found out that Stewart Lee and Bridge Christie were doing a double header at the Hen and Chickens. I'm not sure if it's the case that because women are slowly increasing in numbers in comedy so are more likely to date fellow comedians and it makes sense to do stuff together as you can spend time together between your sets. I think it's also likely that the more famous one, which is not always the man, can help boost the others career.


There's my random thoughts on things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment