Thursday 8 April 2010

People I generally like- Piff the Magic Dragon/John Van Der Put


 Listened to an interview yesterday with John and thought I would do a post as to why I like him and his alter ego.

Firstly, he is an amazing magician. Both as himself and as Piff he has done incredible tricks. I have been spell bound when I have seen them. A couple of favourites of mine are this trick he does with foam rabbits which I was involved with the first time I saw him. He also does this mind blowing trick where he changes one card into another with no visable way he could do that, as my sister has the card to prove it. He sold that trick to David Blaine, which shows how good it is. Here is a video of it in action:




Secondly, he is very different to alot of magicians, at least the American ones, as, not only does he dress in a dragon suit, he also is very anti-ego. John decided to dress as Piff because he wanted to reflect how redicious he felt when doing magic. He finds it stupid that some magicians make themselves look amazing whereas he decides to avoid the ego. I really dislike a lot of the American magicians as they come over as pretenious and fulll of themselves.  I think there as a theme with the magicians I love is that they attempt to force magic to have a context and make some sense, as much as it ever would do. They also don't make themselves look like perfect people with awesome powers, as it were, they add a humaness to their acts.

Thirdly, John generally has an interesting attitude to magic. I did mention why he does Piff, but it is not the only way he makes magic interesting. Before Piff, he started a theatre company which mixed stories and magic. I haven't seen this, but really want to see it.

He is also very funny as well as adorable. Piff is grumpy, but he has sweet moments as well as cheeky and arrogent ones. It is such a mix but he balances well and makes Piff interesting. He also has a very cute dog called Piffilicious, which adds to the adorableness of his character.

Finally, he does have respect for his fans. As I mentioned in my review a few weeks ago, he did mention me and my sister on Facebook and Twitter after the gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment