Sunday 4 April 2010

Barry and Stuart, Séance Show (preview), Hen and Chickens, 3/4/2010

Review time again. I have already seen this show and reviewed it here so I won't go in too much detail, especially as it is still in preview, but I'll generally talk about it, the audience and the venue.


Even though it had only been about a month since I had last seen it, there had been changes. Some were just banter related but there were some additions trick wise that were just amazing and it had generally gotten better.


The audience were quite giggly generally, especially in parts that were meant to be scary! Considering that most of the people wouldn't have seen this show before, it was quite cool that there were quite up for it. But there were also some problems with them too. There were quite a lot of people that did not write a card, so there were moments when they had to get around that. They have to enforce that better. Also, there were gaps in the front, so again need to insist that people sit nearer to the front.


Hen and Chickens was quieter than Etcetera, but there was another problem- it was too light. They didn't dim the lights and there were glow in the dark signs. It depends on whether they want to make the first part hilarious or dark and scary. If dark and scary, they need to wear black. 


Generally, it is even more spectacular and amazing than it was before and it blew my mind. The stuff they added just enhanced it and I believe it will definitely be an Edinburgh must see.


Bonus stuff: 1. Reece Shearsmith (League of Gentlemen) was actually at the gig, which seemed appropriate, and was vaguely involved in a trick!
2. Also spotted Jack Whitehall at Highbury and Islington tube, appropriate as he's the next person we're seeing at Hen and Chickens
3. Mine and my sister's cards was used in a trick, which was cool
4. Stuart actually made a b line for me and my sister and commented that it was good that we didn't pick up the things they throw to choose people (I agree and joked that we'll duck next time) and said he hoped to see us at their next show, which was nice.


I'm definitely seeing them in June at Magic Night (with the equally fabulous Chris Cox) and we'll see when else I'll see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment